Jasper Engines - Jasper Engine does not deliver

Jul 23, 2008
review #128636

Back in 2000 I bought a Jasper Engine and had it installed in my car.Immediately it began smoking and lost oil pressure.

Jasper's warranty dept. personnel wanted to blame my mechanic. I had to threaten to sue. They sent another engine.

It soon locked up. After about 4 more junk engines I gave up. Their 3yr-75,000 mile warranty isn't worth a *** if your car is in the shop all the time like mine was. I finally had to junk the car out.

The worst investment and experience I have ever had was buying a Jasper Engine.

I wont go there again.!!!!!

aca7f93
Had an experience with Jasper Engines?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
John

Oct 05, 2012

Had a Jasper put in my Blazer two years ago.Put on about 20,000. It is running like a top.

Chino Hills Mercury Man

Aug 04, 2012

I have had my 2000 Marquis since new. In 257,000 is was trouble free- Timing chain went (could still drive it) and got word from my Mechanic. Had this mechanic for 15 years and would trust him with my life. I suggested new motor. Got the motor (sounds great), but the trans started shifting badly. The mileage which had been 22mpg avergage fell to 13-18 mpg. Added Jasper Trans. Runs well till warm then same thing. Mechanic has changed sensors, computer items, and put a 3rd trans in it. This is a night mare. Car drives like a new Mercury until warm. Then power drops, and trans shifts erratically between 0 and 40 mph. I spent almost 10K on this nightmare and now spending tons of money on rental cars while the car goes in and out. I suspect its the motor with some kind of defect causing an over heating issue (gage fine but light has comeon). I don't think I'd ever take another Jasper product - this has been to hard.

Cwiken Vonkrugerhorst

Nov 21, 2011

I run a jasper sbc in hot rod and you cant beat it. mid 10s all day long. sound like alot of people :cry 101 things to do wrong when you do the install, but its always easy to point the pinger ;)

old car guy

Sep 19, 2011

About 10 years ago I replaced an 86 Chev 305 with a Jasper. Still runs with good torque. I've put about 135k miles on it of rough, short driving around town. No oil leaks, no gasket leaks, just runs. Same carb. Have had many problems with aftermarket Chev parts like alternators, a/c, etc., but the Jasper just keeps on going. I recently put a Jasper trans in my 1990 cad brougham. Runs well; restored the old up-hill power in a low power 307 Olds engine set up. Might do a Jasper engine for the cad soon; thinking it over. Worst engine I ever had was in a Honda Civic back in the 70's Best I ever had was a VW 4 cyl back in the 80's, 46 mpg. Best regards to all.

PA Auto Tech

Sep 14, 2011

I have installed around 6 jasper units in the last year and a half only one came back and jasper replaced it no charge just like any other maunfacturing facility bad units are produced sometimes it happens i understand peoples frustration but dont take it to far

Jason from Michigan

Jul 14, 2011

I am waiting for my new 3.8L reman to be installed in my 2000 firebird and i am hoping that the motor i get will be the same hp (200)rating as the one it is replacing. 2001 & 2002 firebirds have a reduced hp rating of 160hp. Very worried about this issue and can't find anything related on the Jasper web site.... Thinking maybe i should cancel the order and take it to the dealership so at least i know i won't have a problem... and it would only cost me an extra 200 to 300 hundred dollars more for oe.

Pat Long

Jul 03, 2011

In 2003 I purchased a Jasper transmission for my 1995 Powerstroke diesel. Mainly because of their reputation and the local rep at the time was a family friend. At the time the warranty was 3yr 75 thou miles. At 19000 miles and 8 yrs old while towing a camper the trans died a quick death. I know the time limit was long gone but I thought Jasper would have at least met me half way. Nope! They offered me 10 percent off and a full warranty. Yeah, sure. Never again will I recommend a Jasper product.

Rickey P

Jan 01, 2011

I bought my jasper engine in 2007, and all I have ever had to do to it was change the oil and regular tune ups. I will go back and get another one if this one goes bad, so I have a lot of faith in the workmen ship of the people who make these engines

glad to now

Dec 09, 2010 Erode, Tamil Nadu

Just found this page,was going to replace motor but checked with some of the BBB,S AND FOUND YOU CAN'T TRUST REBUILDERS, :?

NOBODY SPECIAL

Nov 02, 2010

I am an installer and am seeing a very high warranty issue sure they send new but the customer is right back in a short period.

NOBODY SPECIAL

Nov 02, 2010

4% MY *** WAY HIGHER THAN THAT

Aaron

Aug 13, 2010

I have helped fix several issues since posting my comment on here and i hope it has helped, but I would like to revise my statement here a little. First, not EVERY unit we replace from the warranty department is ENTIRELY free of charge. Especially if it is OUT of warranty or the vehicle has created damage to this or past Jasper units! Second, I have not looked up the exact percentage of warranty issues caused by the vehicle vs our product or workmanship being defective. I was just saying that it seems to be less then half. REMEMBER THESE ARE MY PERSONAL OPINIONS AND NOT MY COMPANY'S WARRANTY POLICIES!!!!! I am just trying to do anything i can to help you(customers) from having a bad experience that could of been avoided.

Thanks
Aaron

0 0 Reply
What a waste of webspace!!!

Aug 04, 2010

This is an unregulated forum. So any *** can say anything about anybody. I hope nobody takes this seriously. I could say that the guys at Jasper Enginers *** with their sisters, and it wouldn't be any more true than the complaints posted here. Mr. 7th Engine obviously has an axe to grind, but I strongly suspect there are two sides to his story ... the 2nd side we're not hearing!

JASPER WARRANTY EMPLOYEE= 1-80

Jul 05, 2010

I think its funny.....All i do is fix problems for shops all day and yet you have 10 people on here making it sound like we produce a bad product or dont want to take ownership of our defects. Your not looking at the TRUE big picture. Jasper sales 5000+ transmissions alone a month. Over 3 yrs. And yet there is only 18 warranty techs! We do less then 600 calls a day total. That INCLUDES transmissions, gas/diesel engines, & marine units combined.

Every unit i replace is always free of charge! We just need to take a look to make sure it is our product that caused the problem to pay labor! YOU NEVER EVER GET CHARGED IF THE UNIT IS BAD NO MATTER WHAT! Unless you destroy multiple units to where we cannot rebuild them, which i think is only fair.

As far as pointing the blame finger..... 40% of all my warranty problems I get called on are vehicle related & in most cases the shops are just happy that i help get the vehicle fixed and back on the road so fast. No shop wants to replace a unit and not fix the customers problem. It doesnt matter if the get paid for it or not..... It just sucks & nobody wins.

We even offer free tech assistance to help shops that need it that DO NOT EVEN HAVE OUR PRODUCT!!! In most cases those calls do not need a replacement. Especially for transmissions. They just need help figuring out what input(sensor)the computer is using to make its decisions that are incorrect. Thus making the feeling of a
... Show more

K Lahart

Jun 06, 2010

I'm not sure why you guys are raving mad...I bought and had a Jasper rebuilt installed in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which ran to 385,00 miles on the original, now has 500, 250 miles...never been happier. I would hazard a guess that the motors you bought were not installed, rather were sold by some shady mechanic who installed something else. You think that a company like Jasper has success by selling bad product???? Ditto for what any "employee" might say. Supposing you never heard about disgruntled employees???
Wise up, smell the coffee and open your eyes...if you get the same results from the same shop, time to open your mind, because you've had the sheep's wool pulled over your eyes, and I don't mean by Jasper.

dplcas

Apr 29, 2010

I have been a jasper installer for many years. Of the very few warranty claims I have had Jasper has allways shipped the replacement parts right away and paid the labor claims quickly. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes here. Most failures are a result of poor installation.You get what you pay for when it comes to mechanics. :)

Gordo

Feb 27, 2010

Hey! half backed illiterate mechanic,

Perhaps Maybe Jasper has and demands much higher SPEC's. for those units sold to
NASCAR. ever thought of that DOH :roll

hoosiergose

Feb 27, 2010

Sir, one one other episode with the same car but a different Jasper Engine it immediately locked up after the install the engine locked up before I got a mile . The engine had plenty of oil. I dont believe that had anything to do with my driving habits. So there goes you theory. By the way it sounds like someone needs to brush up on his reading and comprehension skills. I not going to waste my time re-posting what was said. I went thru at least 7 engines and they all had problems. Jasper made money, my installer made money and I got the shaft. Again I say to all readers, dont believe me go down to Jssper Ind. and sit in their parking lot on the weekend and you will meet some very unhappy customers returning their vehicles for Jssper Warranty work for who knows how many times.(been there done that) I say to all if you insist on buy a Jasper engine or Transmission then be sure to take out the Rental car option because you are sure gonna need it. I wish I had. My car was in the shop more that it was on the road. Dont listen to this so-called half backed mechanic, he is probably a Jasper Rep. here to blow smoke and provide a little damage control. Dont fall for it!

mechanic

Feb 23, 2010

hoosiergose i would love to know how a bad engine screwed up your trans have never heard of that unless maybe the flywheel came apart. Sounds to me like someone needs to learn how not to drive a car. Modern day cars ARE NOT HOT RODS like back in the 60's and 70's people buy stuff every day from jasper. nascar runs their transmissions and runs the *** out of em. :? :? :? :?

1-20 of 32 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Jasper Engines.
Filing a new complaint about
×